Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day one of the weaning process.

I am halving the dose of amitriptillyne, and adding in Xanax to help control anxiety during the switchover.  Can't say that I see any changes right now, which is not too surprising.  Katie was on her bed at lunch, in the living room when I came home in the evening (around 6).  Left the computer room when the kids started playing outside.  I need to make up some frozen Kongs and use that to my advantage for CC.  Tried doing some DS/CC outside, and have learned a few things.  One, Katie is more stressed out there than I had been thinking.  Two, she is even more stressed when on leash.  So I am pondering working her inside on leash, so that she is more confident outside.  Or I might work her outside off-leash for a while, and then add the leash in.  Got a question in to Dr. Malamed on that one, to see what she thinks.

We are also working on Target for class, and Watch Me for the DS/CC.  Targeting is going well... it's just a variation of Touch, which Katie has down cold.  The only thing I need to remember on this one is to only reward a nose touch, since she does tend to try and use her paws when the target is on the ground.  Watch Me is being more difficult, since Katie has a habit of intently watching me when we do training, so trying to get her to do it on command is not that easy.  I am going to go see if Kikopup has any videos about it.

And, about 8 p, two hours after the Xanax, Katie has had a burst of playful energy.  I'm going to have to keep an eye on the timing of this, since it does seem to make her mouthy as well.  Anything that she can sneak, she will!  Wood, paper, batteries, plastic, doesn't really seem to matter.  I may try giving the second dose at lunch, to give her something to reduce stress during the day without it causing a ruckus in the evening.  And I have just been reminded that I am going to have to make sure that the shoes are all put away!

9:30, and the extreme energy level seems to have tapered off.  There's been a lot of toy-playing and being outside in the last 90 minutes.  It's a bit exhausting, trying to channel that energy and keep her away from things she shouldn't have!

10:30, and she finally seems to be ready for bed.  Yep, gonna have to play around with the timing on the Xanax.  Also need to remember this so that I can do the DS/CC when she is amped up!

No comments:

Post a Comment