Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day 3 of weaning.

Yesterday was subdued, as is this morning.  I am going to up the Xanax to two pills this evening, especially since I intend to take her on the walk.  We will see how she is.

Didn't come home at lunch.

Katie was back in the bedroom this evening when I got home, around 5:40.  Gave her the higher dose of Xanax, preparing for the walk.  However, she was being resistant to the idea (rolling on side to give me her belly, didn't want to get off the bed, etc.)  So I revised my plan to just getting her to walk to the door on leash, so that I could turn her out before I went to the class.  After all, it's so that I get in shape, not really for Katie.  3.16 miles today, and the path went past where some kids were practicing soccer, so it's probably a good thing that Katie wasn't there.

Got back around 7:40, and Katie was an absolute wild thing!  Racing up and down the hallway, circling me, etc.  Grabbed some toys and let her out in the yard, where she promptly ignored the toys and did zoomies for quite some time.  Even with kids out playing basketball, which is normally enough to make her want to go inside.  She is currently panting like a bellows on her bed in the computer room.  I am going to have to let her cool down and recover some before I even think of feeding her.  Variables to consider:
A.  Didn't come home at lunch.  Katie will frequently do zoomies on the days that this happens.  Not sure if it's because of built-up energy, stress from the disrupted routine, just good spirits because I am finally home.  But it's something to consider.
B.  Increased Xanax dose.  The timing is right, just about 2 hours after giving it.  But I wasn't here earlier, so I do not know exactly what she was doing during that time.  There are some paper shreds around, so she may have been being active while I was out.
C.  The fact that I came home, and went out again.  Disrupted routine twice in one day, may have made her more anxious and thus full of energy when I got back?
D.  A combination of the above.

It will be interesting to see what the next few days show.  Right now she has somewhat recovered from the panting and chewing on a stuffy.

9 pm, and she seems to have calmed down some.  She had been throwing play bows at Rana, and barking at her, but I managed to distract her onto a toy, which works until she notices the cat again.  But she is being toy-oriented, so I gave her her dinner in the Tug-a-Jug, which kept her occupied while I ate.  She was almost frantic (frenetic?  hard to say exactly) in her activity levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment