Monday, May 7, 2012

Tried something different today

I had to put Katie on leash to get her out for her final potty break, so I was thinking about taking her out for a short walk.  Of course, I thought that after I took the leash off, so in order to get her to position where I could leash her, I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride.  That got her into the garage, where I got the leash on.  But then she didn't want to move away from the car.  So fine, I decided to use take her out in the car.  Given that it was almost midnight by this point, I decided to just pull out onto the driveway and see what she did.  Opened up the tailgate, and tried to get her to take some treats, which she wouldn't.  Note to self:  bring higher value treats next time!  After her just lying there for a little bit, she got up and walked to the tailgate and stood there.  I'm not sure if she was being hyper-vigilant, or just interested in all the new sights and sounds, because she was definitely sniffing and scanning the area.  Tail was pretty neutral, ears were alert, but there wasn't a whole lot of tension in her body language.  After a bit, I went ahead and closed the tailgate, at which point she went and laid back down, and ate the treats I fed her, bit by bit.  Then I drove back inside the garage.  She was reluctant to get out of the car.  Had to go get the cheese to convince her to do that!  So I would say the entire situation was somewhat stressful, but not overwhelming.  If I had had the cheese while in the driveway, I think she would have been happier about the whole situation.  I think I may try this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment