Monday, May 7, 2012

Quick update on the drug situation

Realized that I sort of left the issue hanging in the last post were I talked about adjusting the dose.  After meeting with the vet,  I decided to try the DAP collar.  Didn't see any changes with that, so we have now increased the Prozac to 30 mg from 20 mg.  (Side note:  20 mg caplets of Prozac run around $13.  Ask for the same amount, in tablets, so that you can give half-tablets to make 30 mgs, and the price goes up to $151!  Thankfully, the pharmacist agreed to give me 10 mg capsules, so that I could give 2 or 3, which was back to the 13 dollar price.)  I'm on week two of 30 mgs.  Not seeing a whole lot of changes yet, but not seeing the side effects that I did when I first started her on the drug either.  I've also eased up on counter-conditioning, since I am starting to think about getting a second dog to fulfill some of my dog needs (a friendly, out-going dog who LIKES walks and classes and going out in crowds of people) instead of trying to force Katie to meet those needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment